About this Product
PLEASE NOTE THESE COME IN SINGLE UNITS (ideal for helix, cartilage, tragus, daith, conch, labret piercings) so if you're getting them for your earlobes, you would need to order 2 to receive a matching pair.
Look in the UPGRADE shop section for a variety of other post options. However, this design is large enough that it will not work as a nose piercing.
~~~ Cat Skulls ~~~
This cat skull from Ohio artisan Hammersaga, and was so cool and exactly the kind of thing I've wanted to add as an option for years. It measures 10mm x 8.5mm and is nice and thick silver. A little weird, a little nature, and a little spooky = perfect.
This earring’s front is sterling silver! It will develop a patina over time. A layer of clear nail polish can prevent it from gaining a patina. A shining cloth will remove that patina and give it greater depth as it ages.
Sterling silver is a metal alloy containing 92.5% Silver to Copper. Pure silver, without a small amount of copper, is too soft for most jewelry.
~~~ SIMPLEST POST ~~~
- Regular Earring Post - This is a 22 Gauge wide, 10mm long, Surgical Steel Post. It includes a hypoallergenic silicone back as well as an extra wide titanium butterfly back. These are for traditional lobe piercings and are the classic pointy earring design.
~~ THE OTHER COMMON POST OPTIONS ~~~
Body Jewelry Style Post options are organized by
GAUGE . LENGTH . METAL . TYPE
- GAUGE: This refers to how thick a post is. Higher numbers mean skinnier wires. 22g is the skinniest possible jewelry post.
- LENGTH: This is the length of the post. It’s measured in millimeters because they’re whole numbers and inches ends up needing fractions. Regular earring posts are usually around 10mm. Healed helix piercings are usually between 8mm-5mm. Longer posts can be special ordered.
- METAL: This is the metal that the POST itself is made out of. The jewelry design is often a different metal.
- SS = Surgical Steel. I use 316L Steel. This is a kind of Stainless Steel often used for surgical tools. It’s the best type I can source. It is extremely hard, nonreactive, and easy to sanitize.
- Flex = Bioflex. This is NOT metal. It’s a nickname that refers to a soft flexible plastic. It’s safer for mouth piercings, but is less durable than steel. It’s currently only available in 16g and the top is a short pin that inserts into the tube of the shaft. I usually send a free extra post. It can be trimmed down to 6mm. Longer bioflex posts can be found in the Add-On section.
- TYPE: This refers to how you connect the front of the post to the back. Posts have a variety of closures and different styles are good for different things.
- IT = Internally Threaded. This means the front has a screw that goes IN the post. The post itself is a tube ending in a flat disc in a “labret” style. The shaft may have a tiny dent so the screw is nice and firm and unlikely to unscrew itself. The disc of the back is about 4mm wide.
- PF = Press Fit. These Threadless posts are the best for tiny designs or jewelry that’s worn all the time. The post is a hollow tube with a flat disc back. The front of the earring has a slightly curved wire pin attached to the back that inserts into the post. The pin can be bent to increase friction and make it harder to open/close.
~~~ UPGRADED POST OPTIONS ~~~
Alternate posts such as Nose Hoops/Screws, Lapel Pins, or Ear hugs are available to add to your order in the upgrade section of the shop. Please put BOTH the earring and the upgraded post into your cart before checking out. If you can't find what you're looking for, just ask. I can customize specialty posts or make the jewelry to fit your own posts as long as you know the threading or pin size. I can even make large gauges.
Meet the Maker
Scientist turned disabled artisan.
Narcoleptic lover of monsters.
Caretaker of the uncharismatic.
She'll tell you everything about bugs if given half a chance.
How it’s Made
This cat skull is from Hammersaga studio in Ohio. She makes the design out of recycled silver and I purchase the silver piece directly from her. I do a lot of pre-polishing, and then I use my micro-welder to attach one of the connection pieces for the surgical steel posts I engineered based on the post type selected.
Then I do all the finishing in my studio and bring the jewelry up to a nice high shine.
After that, it's gift wrapped and packaged in repurposed sustainable packaging and sent along to you. Each order comes with a sticker from an artist whose work I appreciate, and is wrapped in washi tape. MyM is very careful to never use stolen art and if you want any of the washi tape, I am always happy to connect you to the producer! They're always another small business who deserves support.
I accept order cancellations anytime before the item has shipped.
I accept returns for 45 days. Buyer is responsible for return shipping costs and any loss in value if an item isn't returned in original condition.
All this jewelry is repairable if something happens. I charge way to little for repair, and do it for free if the jewelry is under a month old.